Alistair Murray, CEO of Australian hardware manufacturer Ronstan posted this on his corporate blog a couple of weeks ago.
“So, what is great about sailing? My top 26 (or so!):
- It is always an Adventure, whether participating in adrenaline filled racing or being independent in a quiet cove.
- It is Beautiful in every respect; boats, places and people.
- Craftsmanship skills are developed; it is a hands on activity.
- People with Disabilities can sail …. and win gold medals even.
- It is Environmentally friendly.
- Fresh air, Freedom, Families and Fun. Yes, I overdid it a bit with the F words!
- Generations can sail together, including grand parents and grand children.
- Humility. Nature is more powerful than we are.
- It is Inexpensive if you want it to be. Of course if you fund an America’s Cup campaign it might not be.
- It is Joyful.
- You develop your Knowledge of such topics as weather, navigation, charts, compasses, tactics, practical skills, etc, etc.
- You develop Leadership skills.
- It tests you Mentally; a thinking person’s game with a lot of strategy.
- You meet New and interesting people, all the time.
- Organisations are there to support you, such as yacht clubs.
- It is Physical. Great exercise.
- You spend Quality time with family and friends.
- You can go Racing, or cruising, or whatever.
- It is Safe. I have had a lot more injuries bike riding than sailing!
- It Takes you outside your comfort zone. We all need that.
- You Unwind, relax, recharge your batteries.
- There is such a Variety of boats, places, people, ages, skill levels.
- It opens up the World to you.
- It has that X factor!
- Young kids can do it …. and old kids.
- Zzzzzzzzz. You enjoy a great sleep after a big day on the water!
What can you add to this?